Artisan Baker Certification Program
The Guild is pleased to offer two components of the Artisan Baker Certification Program:
Certified Bread Baker and Certified Viennoiserie Baker.
The goal of the program is to establish and measure the core skills of an artisan baker. Candidates can participate in either or both components. Passing completion of both components will result in a Certified Artisan Baker title.
It is an excellent opportunity for employees and employers alike.
- Are you a baker?
- Are you looking for a way to show a potential employer that you are a good baker and add a resume booster?
- Are you a bakery owner looking for a solid educational challenge for members of your staff?
This could be both a training tool for your employees as well as make it easier to find qualified staff.
Benefits of Certification
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill to staff, peers, managers and the public
- Shows commitment to the highest levels of professionalism and care
- Opens career options for professionals
- Elevates self-esteem and pride in one’s work
- Improves credibility with employers and the general public
BBGA Members can view an online video lecture to prepare for the test by logging into our members only area of our website.
Certification Candidates Testing Process
The online test consists of 100 questions on milling, flour functions and standards, preferments and fermentation, mixing and baking, baker’s percentage, and basic sanitation practices. You will receive your score immediately. A passing score is 70% or higher.
After passing the online test, you must take the practical exam within the next four practical test dates.
The online test must be taken and passed prior to taking the practical examination.
The practical exam will occur over the course of two consecutive days and will include a timed quiz covering baker’s percentage.
A passing score is 70% or higher. You will be given the results of your practical exam electronically immediately afterwards.
The Reading List for preparing for both the Online and Practical Exams:
Advanced Bread and Pastry: A Professional Approach
San Francisco Baking Institute: Michel Suas, Didier Rosada, Brian Wood, and Miyuki Togi (Delmar Cengage Learning, 2009)
Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes
Jeffrey Hamelman (John Wiley & Sons, 2004)
Next Practical Exam will be held at Johnson & Wales University, Providence. On Friday, April 14 - Sunday, April 16, 2023.
Congratulations to these new
Certified Bread Bakers
- Jackie Lee, The Right Dough
- Kristen Lopez, Facebook Bakery
- Craig Ponsford, Ponsford's Place
- Harmony Sage, Long Beach Bread & Beer Lab
- Pierre Yves, Bree'Osh Bakery
Certified Viennoiserie Bakers
- Amber Eisler, King Arthur Baking Company